Looking for support

(7 posts)(4 voices)
  1. I've posted only a few times on the general IVF board so I am fairly new to IVF Connections. IVF#2 with ICSI worked for us...a bit too well.

    We just found out today (5w3d) that we are expecting triplets after transferring 3 embryos. I never thought I would even consider reduction, but after reading the risks of a triplet pregnancy my husband and I are thinking it might be in our best interest.

    If anyone has any advice I would truly appreciate it. I feel totally lost at this point.

  2. If you're considering keeping all three you might want to check out tripletconnection.com. I used to go and lurk there when I was pregnant with triplets.
    I had a 3 to 2 reduction in 2007 because I'm single and also because I was afraid of the risks. My two babies are now 17 months old and I sometimes wish I had been brave enough to try to carry all three, but then I think of the risks and I don't know what would have happened if I had kept all three. Maybe they all would have been healthy. Triplet pregnancies are getting less risky with improved medical care, so they say.
    It's a really tough heart-wrenching decision. It's best to be as well-informed as possible. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

  3. It's a very hard decision - and you really have to only do what is best for you and your family.

    We decided to reduce 3 to 2 after considering all the risks. It was the hardest, most difficult decision I have ever made. That being said - I do believe I did the right thing....

    I am now 6 months pregnant with twins and this pregnancy has been very difficult. Currently experiencing some problems with the placenta and cord on one of our babies - and they are already talking about putting me on bedrest or in the hospital and delivering me early. I can only imagine things would have been worse if carrying triplets.

    However, there are people who do carry triplets successfully. You need to speak with your doctors, your partner and really think hard about what would work best for YOU.

    Best of luck in whatever you decide.

  4. Thanks for the replies, the last 24 hours has been quite the whirlwind.

    Our RE is suggesting we have the SR at the end of next week (I will be just under 7w), but we will wait until a second u/s on Monday to decide.

    I have a question about insurance coverage for those of you who have had done SR. Was it covered? Did you have to do anything to get it covered?

    Thanks again for the advice.

  5. Our SR was covered by insurance. You may want to ask your doctor for the code they submit the procedure under and call your insurance prior to make sure. Not all insurance covers this - I think we were lucky. We were told that we would need to pay cash up-front of our insurance wouldn't pay - so it's good to know one way or the other.

    Also - you might want to consider doing a CVS and get the results before you make any final decisions. Of course, that is totally up to you - but it may help you in your decision.

    Again, best of luck - and hang in there.

  6. I have just set up my appt to have S/R done. I too, am pregnant with triplets and am very, veryy worried and scared, so we are going to reduce to two. I am going to see Dr. Evans in NYC, and he does not take insurance. The total is $7100 (that includes the CVS testing beforehand and the S/R) But, I called and spoke with my insurance company, and they DO cover S/R, but they will only pay up to teh amount the state of NY approvaes for that type of surgery. So, we are waiting to hear back what that will be. We will have to pay out of pocket first, then hopefully get reimbursed.

  7. I called our insurance today and we are covered. So I guess that is one less thing to stress about, b/c believe me, there is definitely enough to stress about.

    So sorry ruth.hartmann that you have to deal with paying for the procedure Best of luck to you.

RSS feed for this topic

Reply

You must log in to post.