50 bags of frozen milk/baby won't drink

(8 posts)(6 voices)
  1. Can somebody just shoot me????? For Real!!!!!!! I have been pumping for over 4 months and freezing whatever I could and now the baby won't drink ANY of the thawed milk that was frozen. I mean, she snubs up her nose...pushes the bottle out of her mouth with her tongue...and goes hungry!

Of course I didn't scald any of it before freezing!

Am I just up the creek without a paddle at this point?

Mandy

2. I would save it and try again later. You can always mix it with rice cereal when she starts eating that.

3. try having someone else give the bottle; that might help, too

worst comes to worst you can use it in recipes when she gets older. i know i used a ton of frozen bm in pancakes for my little guy, which he kept eating after he was weaned.

pilma

4. pilma, you never cease to amaze me with your suggestions. Thanks to both of you for responding.

Mandy

5. Unless there is some reason to give a bottle, like going bac to work, I would just skip it. My 4th baby never had a bottle. I pumped probably 20 bags of milk just in case and I ended up tossing all of it.

Telly
    DS-7y
    Twin DDs-5y
    DS-3y

6. OK....this TOTALLY depends on the individual and personal preference and I definitely don't judge anyone for their preference....but personally I would have gone absolutely batty if I hadn't been able to give my daughter a bottle once a day. It was such wonderful time for my husband to be able to connect with her, and it was good for me to have a break too and easier for me to wean her off when I chose to at 7 months. Even if you plan to breastfeed the entire time though, I still think it's great to have a break once a day for yourself and have someone else feed her...and if you wait too long to introduce the bottle your child may never take it and then you will lose the choice and flexibility of the bottle. I had a lot of friends that wanted to stop breastfeeding around a year but couldn't because the baby couldn't/wouldn't drink from a bottle, sippy, or cup. Some people don't mind and could breastfeed forever, but you never know when you are going to want to stop and having your child take a bottle gives you more freedom.

7. OK....this TOTALLY depends on the individual and personal preference and I definitely don't judge anyone for their preference....but personally I would have gone absolutely batty if I hadn't been able to give my daughter a bottle once a day. It was such wonderful time for my husband to be able to connect with her, and it was good for me to have a break too and easier for me to wean her off when I chose to at 7 months. Even if you plan to breastfeed the entire time though, I still think it's great to have a break once a day for yourself and have someone else feed her...and if you wait too long to introduce the bottle your child may never take it and then you will lose the choice and flexibility of the bottle. I had a lot of friends that wanted to stop breastfeeding around a year but couldn't because the baby couldn't/wouldn't drink from a bottle, sippy, or cup. Some people don't mind and could breastfeed forever, but you never know when you are going to want to stop and having your child take a bottle gives you more freedom.

My boys never had a bottle. After 6 months or so, when you introduce solid foods, is a good time for dad to feed the baby (then he can clean up the mess, too!). Also, if you need a break or think you'll be away from your baby past a normal feeding time, the caregiver could offer solid foods. Unless the mom is returning to work, as Telly said, I would not stress over the bottle. Some babies just don't like it!

8. I second having someone else give the bottle. I introduced a bottle really infrequently around 3-4 weeks and since then had my mom give some bottles while she visited. She was amazed at how well he took to it, and yesterday seeing my sitter give him one I was too! I don't, however, know how well he would take it from me...which isn't a big deal...just as long as he WILL take one so I can leave once in a while.

We are using the Advent and I really like them.....

Brittany

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.