(12 posts)(8 voices)
  1. I have a question: can anything be done about quality problems with old eggs, or is it just a numbers game? In other words, for me at 44, is the point just to get as many eggs as you can and hope to find one of the 10% that might still be viable? Or are there things that can be done to boost the actual quality of the eggs themselves at this point?

My sense is that it's a numbers game, and that a protocol that's given us 10 and 20 eggs, and 8 and 9 embies, respectively, is pretty good for my age. The first round had no blasts worth transferring-- all had genetic problems, according to PGD-- and we're waiting on round 2.

2. I asked my RE the same question and he said that there is nothing that can be done to make the quality better for the eggs. I wish you the best of luck.

Sherri

3. My sense is there isn't anything they currently know about that will help the quality of your eggs. One thing you might try is skipping pgd and just putting all your embryos back, letting them be in their natural environment and self select.

4. read randine lewis's book the infertility cure. specifically the chapter on advanced maternal age. there are alot of things you can do as far as health, diet, supplements, etc, to optimize egg quality that are certainly worth the effort before another cycle.

also, I agree with pp that you might want to just stick 'em back in as anecdotal evidence suggests older eggs are more fragile. or go to CCRM and do CGH instead of PGD...

5. I agree about transferring them anyway (unless there is a genetic disease you are trying to avoid). This is mainly because I would rather mine be with me for as long as they can than to be in a lab.

I also think many REs believe it is better for women above 40 to transfer on day 2 or 3 as the embryos prefer the womb to a dish.

I've asked three different REs about improving egg quality and they said there was nothing to be done. However, I am an eternal optimist and thought that there must be something that I can do.

So, I read this book called Inconceivable about a woman who was 42 and was so far gone they wouldn't even try with her. She was told to use donor eggs. She goes on this quest to try everything and does. She eventually conceives naturally at 43. She's a good writer and admits that what she did might not work for everyone. She has a website www.fertileheart.com.

I don't know that what she has done will work for me. However, I feel more empowered and less helpless. That has meant a lot to me as the stress has been weighing me down.

6. My doc called this morning-- which we had hoped would be transfer day-- and all the eggs were bad again. I'm pretty devastated. My doc says we're talking, in most cases, multiple genetic abnormalities, and her best medical advice is that given my good response to stimming and the relatively large number of eggs we've been able to try over two cycles, this is well outside the scope of any error rate with PGD.

7. I was 5 weeks pregnant last week but my beta started dropping so it's an obvious m/c. However, I'm not ready to give up.

I can tell you what I'm going to do to help with egg quality as well.

I would pm you my email and # but you don't have that option on your profile. So if you don't mind....pm me your #/email (that way it's private...no one else can see it) and we can chat.

I'm so sorry to hear your news but don't give up yet.
    I have several friends 44 and even 45 who had babies at this age.

I did an IVF at 42 and did pgd which said all my eggs (12) were bad. I got pregnant the next month after that failed cycle and had a healthy baby.

I'm trying again and feel it can happen again.

8. I'm sorry about your news. That is very sad. Please don't give up- but do give yourself time to grieve.

Stacy- I'd love to hear what you did to improve egg quality, if you don't mind.

9. my box was full so wasn't able to get your message...thanks

10. I agree with some of the ladies. Forget PGD, just put the embryos back at day 3, as many as you can. I tried PGD twice, and though it looked grim (only 4 of 10 passed), I went back to 3dt. I'm 39, not 44, but had tried fertility treatments for 3 years with 3 M/C\'s.

I tried human growth hormone to improve egg quality on one cycle-it made no difference-it gave me a wickedly bad migraine though!

On the last cycle, I decided to take coenzyme q10. I read somewhere that old eggs do poorly due to their mitochondria petering out. I had some success with this, no ICSI, and putting back 5 embryos on day 3. I'm not sure it helped, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I just think PGD and these other tests mess with the embryos too much. I don't know how microarray/CGH is done, but I will never do PGD again.

11. We had our post-cycle consult today, and I think this will be it for trying with our own eggs. Once again, there were just too many things wrong with the ebryos-- all nine had multiple serious genetic deformities-- trisomies, monosomies, multiple missing chromosomes, you name it. None were even close to normal. My doc thinks it's a combination of age and, possibly, a couple of radiation exposures I had in my life.

12. marousaki, I was told acupuncture along with chinese medicine CAN indeed improve egg quality a bit. Perhaps not to the point of making them as a 39 year old's but nonetheless it is worth a try. I think it may be best to see a chinese med doctor instead of an acupuncturist because the chinese med doctor can do acu as well as put you on a treatment plan.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.