40 poor responder-is it time for me a DE?

(7 posts)(3 voices)
  1. I need some guidance here. I just turned 40, fsh is 10.4 , amh is .7

Some docs say that I should go through IVF again and there is a chance I will become pregnant with OE. Then other docs say that if I want a baby, move on and get a DE. I am so confused, emotionally burned out, broke, and this has been a huge stress on our marriage. I have been lately feeling very positive, working out, and getting acupuncture.

I have had three IVF cycles this yr. Two converted ( beleived 3 eggs) and one complete IVF with 5 eggs, 3 mature, and two embys transerred. Did not work. I have also done nat IUI's between cycles and I am about to do a an IUI with Clomid. I actually become pregant with a natural IUI cycle. IT only lasted about 3 weeks and was a chemical. Talk about dangling a carrot in front of my face.

I have thought a lot about using a DE and I will if that is my last resort. My friend has one bio baby and is now pregnant with twins from a DE. She has really helped a lot going through this process. I am very open to DE becasue of her.

I did go through IVF 3 yrs ago for baby no 1. We are blessed to have a 22 mo old healthy girl. We had 13 eggs retreived, 10 embryo's. I froze five and then on day 5 the five in culture went down to 2. They trasnferred 2 and it did not work. Two mos later they did a frozen trasnfer with 3 and I got pregnant. IT took 10 emby's for one baby. There is no way now I am producing 13 eggs again. It seems only like 3.

So with all of that said, should I move on to the ED process? Should I go through IVF again with my own eggs?

I as at MLF and now I am at RSI. If I decide to go through IVF again...should I be at CCRM or Cornell? Is there a better chance for me at one of these top clinics???

Thanks- JenD

2. jena, I would try a cycle with Dr. Davis at Cornell. He can put you on the EPP protocal and try and get more eggs to increase your odds. In the meantime, start looking for a clinic to cycle at using DE and start looking for a donor or put your name on the waiting list at a clinic. It's a long process to be matched at a clinic like Cornell and it also takes a long time to find a donor through an agency.

The best clinics are ORM in Oregon, SDFC, CRM, Cornell, NYU etc.
    Check Sart for the clinics stats on DE.

Don't wait to long in what ever you decide it's a long process and is not 100%. I am going to start my 2nd DE cycle in November at Cornell. I started this DE process 2 years ago when my DD was 2 she will be 4 in December and it saddens me that a potentitial DE DC will be allot younger then DD.

Good luck.

3. seriously, I just met a woman who had bio child at 43 and all is well. But yes, she had to do IVF numerous times.
    I would say, give see a great doc, give yourself a number of times you can handle the IVF with own eggs and then move on. This can be financial, emotional and physical reasons.
    DE is great, but it does have some emotional issues tied to it that one must process through. IVF is great but takes a greater strain on the body as you are doing the whole thing. It's a balancing act. Only you know how much you can take. Best of luck to you!!

4. Thanks Sarah. IVF is such a financial stress and burden. Such a roller coaster of ups and downs. I would like to do one more IVF and I am wondering if I should go to CCRM?? I have had a consult with Dr. Surrey and I have heard that have very good protocals. I guess I wonder if my chance of getting pregnant would be better there or not. I have three friends now who have used DE. I have learned a lot about it and we will go in that direction if not bio baby through IVF. Thinking about it for our family does brind some of those emotional issues already! Did you do DE?

seriously, I just met a woman who had bio child at 43 and all is well. But yes, she had to do IVF numerous times.I would say, give see a great doc, give yourself a number of times you can handle the IVF with own eggs and then move on. This can be financial, emotional and physical reasons.DE is great, but it does have some emotional issues tied to it that one must process through. IVF is great but takes a greater strain on the body as you are doing the whole thing. It's a balancing act. Only you know how much you can take. Best of luck to you!!

5. Thank you. What is EPP protocal? I have thought about Cornell and I have already had a consult with CCRM. I really liked them. I am thinking about doing and IVF cycle there. Is one clinic more successful than the other? Thanks for the advice about the wait lists. I have heard that too. We are meeing with two clinics about DE in the Fall just in case my IVF does not work. I will want to move forward and not want to wait and wait. I have had enough of waiting and then getting the neg. beta tests. I know what you mean about the age difference. The great thing about having an older child is that she will help you when a new baby arrives. I think it is a plus that way!!! Is your 4 yr old a DE? I have a lot of freinds with 4 yr olds who are now pregnant or want to have another.

jena, I would try a cycle with Dr. Davis at Cornell. He can put you on the EPP protocal and try and get more eggs to increase your odds. In the meantime, start looking for a clinic to cycle at using DE and start looking for a donor or put your name on the waiting list at a clinic. It's a long process to be matched at a clinic like Cornell and it also takes a long time to find a donor through an agency.The best clinics are ORM in Oregon, SDFC, CRM, Cornell, NYU etc.Check Sart for the clinics stats on DE.Don't wait to long in what ever you decide it's a long process and is not 100%. I am going to start my 2nd DE cycle in November at Cornell. I started this DE process 2 years ago when my DD was 2 she will be 4 in December and it saddens me that a potentitial DE DC will be allot younger then DD.Good luck.

6. Hi there, Well, CCRM is great for DE, I also hear they are just great period! I am East Coast so I think that is why I hear alot about Cornell although, I have read several high profile women (movie stars) who mentioned Cornell as the Clinic that helped them with an over 40 pregnancy with bio children. We are going DE as I am 45. I am with SDFC. Love them very much!

7. HI Sarah-

I am also on the East Coast. I have been with MLF three yrs ago for baby no 1 and then this yr - one converted cycle and one complete with two embys that did not work with MLF. We are now at RSI. Mabye I should consult with Cornell as well. I have heard there is a long waitlist at Cornell for an ED?? Where did you see the info about the "high profile movie stars"going there. I do know there are several that have used ED but keep it private.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.